The 2016 NYD carnival:-
1. We have committed significant resources to moving towards contemporary corporate governance of the BAC. This has included:-
a. The BAC unanimously voted in a complete new constitution in November 2015.
b. Changed our incorporation registration under the Tasmanian Government’s Dept. of Justice to a more contemporary model
c. Committed resources to developing a BAC strategic plan with assistance from the Tas Govt Dept. of Sport and Rec
2. The BAC 2015 AGM voted in a new executive and committee consisting of:-
a. Patron Peter Blake
b. President Ricky Aitken
c. Vice President Gerard Leary
d. Secretary Allan Johnson
e. Treasurer Mitchell Smith
f. Section Managers
i. Pedestrian Gerard Leary
ii. Chopping Denzil Munday
iii. Cycling Greg Malley
iv. Committee members in addition to those above. Des O’Shannessey, Brain Wells, Marcus Langham and Michael Gates
3. Refer open letter from Pres. Ricky Aitken which appears on P3 of our 2016 printed programme. It provides a snap shot of the BAC including:-
a. Thanks to retiring members
b. A reference to becoming progressive and sustainable
c. A reference to our core purpose enshrined in the constitution
d. Demonstration of providing entertainment beyond the 3 core sports and reaching out to the community via NFP groups
e. Significant (>25%) increase in membership
4. The 2016 NYD carnival will be the second consecutive carnival we have run autonomously since moving out from Burnie Sports and Events management. While last year’s late move from BS&E proved challenging this year has seen a significant increase in both cash and in-kind sponsorship. This is testament to BAC’s dedicated sponsorship coordinator Michael Rowlands. The carnival then is the City of Makers for which the City of Burnie is well known. This direction as been significant in attracting corporate partners who identify with this theme. Evidence of this is with all the larger corporate partners noted below.
5. Caterpillar Underground Mining has committed to a 3 year naming rights sponsorship of the carnival.
6. Other significant sponsors include:-
a. The Heritage Burnie, part of the Lion Group Men’s Gift
b. William Adams, part of the Elphinstone Group Men’s Wheel
c. Stubbs Constructions Women’s Gift
d. Direct Edge Manufacturing Women’s Wheel
7. All events are fully sponsored via 50 individual corporate partners.
8. Fulton Hogan is the SCAT series sponsors
9. The significant cash prizes on offer at the 2016 NYD as follows:-
a. Pedestrian $24,700
b. Cycling $23,865
c. Woodchopping $7,010
d. TOTAL $55,575
e. Trophies and sashes are in addition to the prize money.
10. The 2015 NYD carnival recorded an official crowd of 4200 persons. The BAC is hoping this will increase to 5000 persons for the 2016 carnival based on a range of further initiatives to engage patrons and community groups.
11. The BAC is conducting a free athletics clinic at West Park on NYE between 1.30 and 3.00pm. The clinic includes free food and carnival entry vouchers. The clinic will be attended by:-
a. Jack Hale
b. Craig Mottram
c. Andrew Robinson
d. Genevieve Lacaze
12. NYD times
a. Gates open 10.00am
b. Chopping commences 12.00 noon
c. Main arena commences 1.00pm
13. Harold (Tiger) Dowling will official open the carnival at 4.16pm
14. In a first for the BAC we are now involved with the organising the conduct of the NYE Criterium in Burnie. The crit forms part of the community’s New Year’s Eve celebrations being the “Night on the Terrace”. The event now in its tenth year is sponsored by Sewell Sweepers and supported by the Raindrops Restaurant and BCC. In deciding to become involved with the NYE events the BAC sees this as one critical element in attracting and retaining riders for NYD.
15. The BAC is well underway in planning for the 130th anniversary celebrations in late 2016 / NYD 2017.
a. A two week display of memorabilia at the Burnie Arts and Function Centre during December 2016
b. A cocktail party and gala dinner at the Burnie Arts and Function Centre on Thursday 8th December 2016
c. Commencement of a permanent home for BAC Hall of fame and memorabilia working in conjunction with BCC